Re: [A/S] Original Wood Bunks

Phil- I have one of these bunks in my '64 Safari, made of oak, about 4-5 inches deep to contain a
foam mattress. I have it removed for now, as  I don't need it for sleeping space, and it takes up
some headroom, and obscures two of the side windows. It is opposite the galley, just above the
pull-out bed, runs lengthwise. It rests on two hinges, each on tip of a triangular hardwood bracket
affixed perpendicular to the wall- Bracket is about 6x8x10 inches, guessing. (don't know if its on
a vertical frame member or not, probably yes.)  When in folded up position, it's at about a 45 degree
angle, and is held to the ceiling with two hasps that rotate to lock in, much like those used for
connecting leaves inserted into a dining table, with a lever to push with a thumb.  Half of the hasp
is mounted to the ceiling, the other half on the outer edge of the bunk. We used to store bedding up
there. When down, only the outer edges are supported, including the previously mentioned hinges. The
aft end rests on a cleat across the bulkhead into the bath/closet. The front end is supported by a
heavy chromed chain, that is affixed into the ceiling through a frame member. The chain has a plate
at the top end which is through bolted to the outside, having the frame for support.  The cap nuts
are visible from the outside top.  On a few occasions, I have checked the hasps during trip stops to
see if they have loosened. Usually not a problem. I checked for any photos I may have of the bunk, but
find none right now.  Hope this description helps. If need be I can get a picture next time I am at
the trailer.
Jere Potter
Fort Collins. CO