Re: [A/S] original oven

Jere, I decided against trying to clean up and reuse the stainless steel
cook top on the stove in my ' 68 Tradewind. It was in pretty bad shape from
rust and there were other problems with the oven. The stainless sink in the
galley was also rusted and pitted and I had planned to replace it as well
but couldn't find one the same size of equal quality. I was able to polish
out the rust (but not the pits) in an afternoon using a 4 " Scotch brand
nylon brush that's impregnated with an abrasive in my electric drill. It's
like a wire brush, only with much thicker blue nylon bristles. Sandpaper
flap wheels were not workable. You might try repolishing the cook top. It
left a nice satin finish in my sink -- not unlike a new one.

Jim Greene