Re: [A/S] Exhaust Brakes can be Hazardous to Your Health!

Cecil is right in that the exhaust brakes can cause jackknife problems.  I
experienced a problem while towing earlier this year when I hit water on the
road going downhill around a curve.  The tow vehicle went into a skid, and I
was all over the two lane road until I regained control.  That said, I
learned from the incident not to use my exhaust brakes on wet or slippery
pavement, but still use them otherwise, and would install them all over
again.  They are very valuable in hilly terrain, and I have found them very
useful when going through cities pulling my trailer in heavy traffic.  In
this situation, they engage as soon as the foot is removed from the gas
pedal, so that the vehicle starts slowing.  As someone else noted, a
gasoline engine already has retarding - a diesel does not, but freewheels
instead.  The exhaust brakes provide the engine retardation not otherwise
available with a diesel.

-Tom