Re: [A/S] furnace removal

Hi Patricia:

Several years ago, we bought a 1973 20 ft Argosy that was in
excellent condition but I couldn't get the pilot light of the
Suburbam furnace to stay lit. On further investigation, the various
rubber hoses in the combustion system didn't appear in very good
condition so I attempted to buy parts to completely upgrade the
furnace along with a new thermostat. I couldn't find a source of such
parts (we didn't have things such as web discussion groups and the
like then) but couldn't locate any. Since I didn't relish the thought
of CO being emitted underneath my bed, I opted to remove the furnace
and throw it away. We now use a portable electric heater when a
little heat is needed toward morning. I simply purchased a brass
flare plug to cap the gas line and neatly wrapped up the wires and
installed wire nuts on them and secured them out of the way on the
inside wall of the camper. The fresh air/exhaust vent through the
wall of the camper was plugged with a rectangular piece of stainles
steel to keep rodents/insects out. It should be easy for me or
someone else to install a new furnace leter, if desired. Hope this
helps some.