[A/S] It ain't K-Mart!!

> Terry, I agree with your comments. The observation that I would make is
> nothing in the Blue Beret or the WBCCI web site reflects any of the things
> you said.

Really? In the Blue Beret is a list of all the rallies, caravans and dinner
meetings (Winter) available around the country. We use those lists whenever
we have a free weekend.  How do we use them?

We enjoy attending our local Unit rallies whenever we're in the vicinity.
The rest of time, we visit other Airstream Units during their local rallies.
That is an option open to every WBCCIer. Rally hopping into other unit's
rallies throughout the country is one of the enjoyable things we do.  And
yes, there are some rallies that we favor.

Early in our history with Airstreaming, we learned of a unit that emphasized
boondocking rallies. Because we particularly like that style of RVing, we
attend many of that unit's rallies (even though they may be 200 miles away).

Other times while we're traveling, we use the BB lists to find local rallies
in different states. All it takes is a phone call to the WagonMaster and our
willingness to sign up (and pay) for activities and dinners (sight unseen).
For us, this adds excitement and a bit of joyful anticipation.

Several years ago, when the owners of vintage Airstreams formed a new Unit,
they deliberately created it as a nationwide unit and used our country's
federal district as the name. This is the Washington, DC Unit. Membership is
open to any WBCCIer from any state in the Union. Members have joined from
across the country. This is the fastest growing unit in WBCCI. We have
attended these rallies and caravans and dinner meetings.  They are the cat's
meow. When it was created, we signed up as Associate members. Receiving the
newsletter makes it easy for us to know what's occurring and when. This
helps with scheduling our time.

A list of courtesy parking locations throughout the country comes with
membership in WBCCI.  We accept the invitation of other Airstreamers to stay
at their house (park in their yard) whether they live a hundred or a
thousand miles from our home base.  Courtesy parking works very well for us
when we're traveling long distances to visit relatives or rally hopping or
Snowbirding. It is one of the most delightful ways we've found to meet new
people and share the camaraderie of Airstreaming. As the trivet in our
Airstream says, "Make new friends, keep the old, one is silver, the other is
gold."
---------------

> It's a matter of perception -- especially to new members who
> haven't yet had the opportunity to experience the activities you describe.
> They get turned off from the get go and never give themselves a chance to
> get involved because they can't identify with the "image" of WBCCI that's
> projected by the formal communication from the organization.

Come on Jim, give me a break. <grin> There has to be a communication format
which is both simple and agreed upon by thousands of members scattered
around the continent.  I know it's true that everyone has their hot buttons
for being turned on or turned off.  But, it's up to each of us to decide how
much of a risk we're willing to take with something we think we may or may
not like (but haven't experienced yet).  There would be no choice available
to us if we didn't know when and where the activities were occurring. With a
standardized format, activities and the host names are easy to locate.

If you have a suggestion about organizing a communication format for the
WBCCI nationwide network of families to share factual information monthly in
an economical and easily understood way, I'll bring it to the powers that
be.

------------------
> Excluding the Region's list of unit rallies I would venture that a sizable
> majority of WBCCI members do not participate in any of the activities
> discussed in the Blue Beret.

Jim, local monthly unit rallies that we typically attend have a dozen or
more Airstream families around the campfire. When we're on Unit caravans,
there are always 10 or more families.  Some are much larger. Because we
enjoy caravans so much, Sandie and I have been Caravan Leaders. In 1995, we
led one from the Balloon Fesitval in Upstate New York to the Balloon Fiesta
in New Mexico and two years ago, we were co-leaders for a Fall Foliage
Caravan in the Northeastern states. I'm sure there are members in any
organization who don't participate, but to lump everyone into that category
is more of a stretch than you might imagine.

In each Blue Beret issue, other columns address various unique interests.
One is on maintenance (like a seminar). There's a column for Airstream
owners who use computers in their RV. There's a column for CB owners and
Full Timers which provide data to their members. There are specialty type
rallies as well as pre and post rally trips and activities for those with
the inclination. We're already planning to sign up for this year's Florida
State Rally in Sarasota and the post rally trip to Kennedy Space Center in
February 2002.

As I noted in my first reply to you, none of us ALWAYS has a successful
experience, but we try - and try again.  That's what WBCCI volunteers do. As
ordinary members, the least Sandie and I can do is continue being open to
new experiences and to staying involved. Most of the time, we're delighted
with doing that.
_______________________

> So, I have to wonder who besides the International insiders
> clique (and I suppose the editor) is interested in the content of the Blue
> Beret.

The people who are interested in the content are those Airstreamers who
realize that each activity listed in the Blue Beret represents a family or a
group of families who are volunteering to play the role of gracious host and
hostess for other families with similar interests.  When a rally theme
sparks our interest, we want to know about it. Perhaps we will be in the
vicinity and can attend. We don't want to miss anything. Knowledge about
what's occurring is a key issue for us.

Of course Editors are interested. Not only are they contributors to the Blue
Beret, but they are among the more active members in each Unit.  They weave
together a monthly Unit newsletter, print it, send it out and participate in
dozens of rallies and caravans.

You mentioned seeing an "insiders clique." All of us travel with many folks
in many circumstances and as a result, experience a gamut of situations.
Most are enjoyable, but up front, you know some will require great ingenuity
to solve unanticipated problems or meet unexpected needs.  Bonds of
friendship sometimes develop when unusual circumstances occur.

Likewise, we've traveled thousands of miles with one or two other couples
where friendships deepened and relationships grew. When we meet up with
those folks again (sometimes unexpectedly), we're overjoyed at our good
fortune and want to catch up on what's been occurring in their lives while
we've been apart. That doesn't make us a clique.

I'm sure you've noticed many WBCCI members take a personal interest in
visiting with those who are new faces at rallies. We are often the new
people at rallies (especially when we're snowbirding), so we give it a
chance and let the good times start slowly.  We mingle and chat with many
people. Rome wasn't built in a day.  We figure if we develop more than a
passing acquaintance with one new Airstream family, we're doing fine. What
else is new in life? None of us knows everyone, but all of us knows someone.

At rallies, we see others like ourselves who have had grand times together.
That's part of what prompts us to want accurate information about where
future rallies will be  occurring. This data enables us to decide if we can
be there to continue enjoying the Airstream lifestyle.  Don't get me wrong,
our own private time is equally important to us, but we can and do figure
that into our schedule - all by ourselves.

In each issue of the Blue Beret, there are hundreds of invitations. Each
time you see a person's name beside a Unit's description of their rally,
that's another volunteer who has invited you to have fun with them and enjoy
fellowship with their group of Airstream families.
--------------

> It's hard to distinguish one issue from the last one -- they all have
> the same content. It's basically a pep talk for the International Rally.

Jim, there is content well beyond what will be occurring at the annual
International Rally.  Each monthly issue publicizes upcoming activities.
When Spring arrives, publicity emphasizes Summer activities.  The content is
cyclical and based on upcoming seasonal events.

Each regional editor's column is for members in that region. Ask regional
editors to write a column for a specific month and some of what they share
with their regional members will be similar. We read the regional column of
the area we happen to be traveling in - not all other regional columns.
-----------------

> That's all well and good except in my view the publication is not
> representative of the kinds of activities that would make me join
> WBCCI or renew if I did.

Jim, the purpose of the publication is not to MAKE you join WBCCI. The
purpose is to provide you with information about available activities around
the country which you may choose to join.  No one wants to make you join.
That's your call.

But, Airstreamers who participate in several activities and have a good time
- may want to renew their WBCCI membership and have more good times. During
our first year as WBCCI members, we went to every event we could find. Our
little kids enjoyed it as much as we did. It was a no-brainer for us. Each
year, we acquire more friends and travel more extensively. The basic
camaraderie and support  network still enthralls us.

Each family is different in many ways, including the actual weeks or seasons
when they can use their Airstream. Until ten years ago, we winterized our
Airstreams in the Fall and parked them for the Winter. But, life changes. We
had finally earned enough money to not need a job anymore. We decided not to
winterize each of our Airstreams. Instead, we now take one and travel the
continent much of the year.  Our use of the Blue Beret is greater than it
was when we were working stiffs. What I'm getting at is that we see hundreds
of Airstreams in our travels. When we were working and RVing only on
weekends, it was an unusual week to see one Airstream on the road.
--------------------

> WBCCI is missing the boat as far as using its publications to attract and
> retain members. So I have to ask -- what is its purpose? I think I don't
> understand.

The purpose of the Blue Beret magazine is to provide details about specific
activities occurring across the land. The idea is to convey information to
members in local Units so they can selectively become acquainted with
families in any general geographic area and can participate in activities
with other Airstreamers.

Many members join one Unit as a regular member and several other units as
Associate members. In each Unit, they participate however it suits their
skills and needs. But - they participate.

When they see things they would like changed, they make their ideas known
and volunteer to work on that committee. In this country, the democratic
process is alive and well for those who want a hand in making changes.  All
it takes is to a little initiative and involvement.
----------------

Jim, I hope these ideas are useful to you.  Some repetition is in here, I
know that. I would have answered sooner, but as you may recall I'm
preoccupied with replacing the cooling unit in our refrigerator.  It's a
tediously "slow go" with some aspects outside of my control (shipping the
right model the first time, delivering it in a timely fashion and finding
the exact replacement part which broke while trying to disassemble a 25 year
old connection).

What you don't know but might have suspected is our"just married" daughter
and son-in-law have needed help moving furniture into their apartment.
That's one of the fringe benefits of being a Father who owns a big old
Suburban and has a cellar full of one daughter's treasures. <grin>

We're still two weeks behind schedule for leaving New York.  Unfortunately,
it's doubtful that we'll be free in time to attend the VAC Delaware Rally.
We're hopeful for shaking loose in time to attend the VAC Rally at Top of
Georgia.

If you decide to discuss this topic further, would you write to me directly?
I've put all my email list subscriptions on "temporary hold" while wrestling
with this refrigerator and while preparing for our upcoming eight month
trip. Many days, I haven't even turned on the email program.

Plus, the learning curve for making iMovies with iTunes and Quicktime is
coming along very slowly. So far, I have a one minute clip of video/audio
scenes that I've knit together from our daughter's wedding. But, I have a
great video/audio clip from our son in his F-15 while intercepting a
commercial airliner over NYC back in October. He put it together after an
airliner didn't provide the required coded signal showing they were NOT
being hijacked.  It turned out to be a false alarm, so it  wasn't necessary
to escort the airliner to an alternative airfield.

Today, I reactivated all my subscriptions (I'm getting good at following
those  directions), but will return everything to "temporary hold" later in
the week.  For the next 8 months, I'll always be on line several times a
week, but not always subscribing to individual emails from my various
subscriptions.

Later,
Terry
mailto:tylerbears@mac.com