Re: [A/S] Am I crazy?

You sure are!

Especially if the asking price is $400.  Just because he over spent, doesn't
mean that you have to.  Repairing the damage is no small task and the
original appliances will have to be replaced.  Working with the restoration
will be a rewarding experience - just remember that your most likely only
satisfaction will be the accomplishment and that you own an Airstream.

I overpaid for my '69 Safari and learned a lot the hard, not the smart way.
I'm 10 months leisurely into the restoration and still have a long time to
go before the unit is towable.  Restoration is a fun/difficult hobby if you
have storage at  your home and have the tools to do most of the work
yourself.

In the long run, you'll have greater satisfaction from the purchase of an
updated unit.  The $3000 to $5000 for an excellent restorable unit will seem
inexpensive as compared to what will be involved with the $400 asking price
of your intended purchase.

My recommendation would be to talk seriously with the seller and negotiate a
much lower price - sort of like I'll get it out of your yard as compensation
for the unit?  OTOH, you might have an experienced restorer take a look at
the unit and help you decide if it's a keeper or not.  I may be a dreamer,
but I'm a much smarter dreamer! :)

                                                 '69 Safari, Joy