[A/S] Tuna-Butterpaws question/Traveling with cats

Tuna,

Okay, is the idea of the "Butterpaws Technique" to get the cats used
to the campsite?  Did you mean this allowed you to let the cats
outside, and they would come back to your trailer?

I will soon be fulltiming with my 1 dog and 2 cats--and the cats are
my greatest concern.  They are used to going outside.  I've been
keeping them inside for the past month, but they are NOT happy about
it.  I anticipate being in one place for a month, or more at times.
The cats have new harnesses, lightweight detachable leads, elaborate
ID tags, microchips, and every shot known to veterinary medicine. But
they are accustomed to living on a few acres, not in a 23' Safari.

So, my traveling cat questions are:

1.  Do any campgrounds allow cats to roam free?  I realize this is
probably a case by case jusdgement call, but I was curious if it ever
worked.

2.  Does the Butterpaws technique train them to stay near your own
trailer?

3.  How do you keep them from darting out the door when you open the
trailer door?  A year of constant vigilance at the portal seems like
no fun for any of us--and, doomed to eventual failure.

I'd love to hear from experienced cat travelers. I've had cat
companions in my life for over 20 years, sometimes as indoor and
sometimes as outdoor cats.  I cherish them and want the best for them-
--it is ironic that increasing my freedom in life results in much
less freedom for them.  They have always stayed close to home when
allowed outside, and we are very attached to each other.   I'd like
to hear other's experiences on this matter. Thanks everyone.

--Susan