[A/S] Re: Nutsets

I have run across a couple of styles of inserts that work in a fashion
similar to "pop" rivets. One is the so-called "Riv-Nut" which is a
plain aluminum body, threaded on the inside, and with a flanged head.
It has a throwaway insert mandrel which allows you to install it using
a pop rivet gun. A second type is similar, but is serrated
longitudinally on the outside of the barrel and must be set with a
special tool(s). These are available in steel or aluminum with the
steel type also available without a flange. I have been replacing many
sheet metal screws on the Excella with this second type in aluminum
(8-32) and have gotten good results. For a source check McMaster-Carr
Hardware supply. One place I used them to advantage was replaceing the
screws that hold the screens on. I no longer have sharp self-tapping
screws protruding into the window frame area. Using a flange head
screw adds a nice interior finishing touch.