Re: [A/S] Grand Cherokee and Safari

Personally I think it depends very specifically on your equipment and
needs.

I tow a 1983 31ft Excella with a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer V-8. It has
the factory towing package, which includes transmission cooler and a
3.73 rear axle ratio. The Excella dry weight is 4,950 lbs.  GVWR
7,100 lbs. By making sure the water and waste tanks are never too
full we manage the weight down to around 6,000-6,200 lbs., which is
well within the Mountaineer 6,760 lbs. weight limit.

I corresponded with Ford and their weight recommendations assume a
certain amount of frontal area, which is generally based on flat or
square SOB's.  Airstreams are, of course, round and offer a lot less
resistance to wind.

We towed a full U-Haul trailer (and I mean FULL) to Massachusetts to
move my daughter there. Full car too.  The Mountaineer did really
well, and was able to tow the U-haul at speeds up to 80 mph. (At
which point I screamed to whoever was driving at the time).  I have
noticed that it is actually a lot easier and less stressful to tow
the Airstream than the U_haul trailer.  I think wind resistance and
balance have a lot to do with it.

The only after market modification on the Mountaineer is rear
inflatable shocks, which I got for the UHaul, not the Airstream.
They make the rear somewhat more stiffer, even at their lowest 30 lb.
setting, which is what I use with the Airstream.  The front shocks
are gas charged, so I saw no need to upgrade them with Bilsteins (I
did that with a prior Mountaineer-1998).  I also replaced the
original Firestone tires from the get go with BFGoodrich Long Trail.
They improved the ride and handling noticeably.

We also live in Florida, so I cannot say how it would do in the
Rockies.

Newer engines have a lot more power.  My 302 in the Mountaineer puts
out 212 HP and good flat torque.  Going back to 83, I had an Olds 88
307 V-8 that was only good for 145 hp.  It would have made less than
adequate tow vehicle for anything other than the Coleman pop up we
had at the time.

Newer transmissions also have more gears, which generally help uphill
and downhill.

We have not had any major problems towing with the Reese dual cams.
Keep speed under 65. Close to 60 in many places.  18 wheelers do have
an effect, but it is controllable.  Nevertheless, I just ordered a
Hensley Hitch through Walts RV in Ocala.  Prevention is better than
desease.  And I hate thinking that I need to be ready to hit the
trailer brakes any time I see an 18 wheeler coming.  I am hoping the
Hensley will reduce that.

On the subject of SUV's the Mountaineer (and the Explorer) are not
true SUV's.  They never do well in off road tests.  I have compared
the height from the ground of my Mountaineer to an Expedition, a
Tahoe, and a Suburban.  The Mountaineer is actually closer to the
ground.  I used to own a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  That one was a lot
higher off the ground.  Did not tow as well as the two Mountaineers I
have had.  The Mountaineers weight 4,400 lbs, or 600 lbs. more than
the Grand Cherokee, which I am sure is also a factor.

The only reason to upgrade to a bigger tow vehicle when the
Mountaineer lease is up will be to get more horsepower and torque.
If the Mountaineer does well in the mountains (we will make at least
one trip to western Virginia in the next year), maybe I will simply
get another one in 2003.

Everything is a compromise.  We live in Miami, and need a vehicle
that can be parked downtown, and fits under public garage roofs.  So
a truly long pickup or a tall full size vans are out of the question
for us.

Manny Ferro
WBCCI 4313
83 31 Excella 00 Mountaineer  Hensley Hitch on the way