[A/S] White Top Issue

Hi Gang,

As Donald was having problems eliminating all the digest posts I'm now
sending his posts to the list from my address.....

White top issue: Depending on what and how you use it, white paint can be a
pain). Our neighbor at Port O'Call, Melbourne, had his done by one
of the other "inmates" of POC, only to come back the next Fall to find white
streaks down the side of his trailer. It polished off but looked like heck
while he was gone! And it still does it, after 2 or 3 years. We had a problem
with acrylic finish peeling; cleaned it all off where it was peeling with one
of those plastic sponges for washing dishes, careful not to scratch the
finish, using mineral spirits in wide-open space (fumes are highly flammable;
cut off your gas fixtures and bottles). followed by a good wash-down with
Dawn detergent and water). When it was dry and clean, we used RustOleum
Bright Aluminum (gallon cans) with FloTrol (or other additive which enables
enamels to be applied without brush streaks; ask your friendly professsional
paint aupplier!), as recommended but use it sparingly--too much seems to
cause the bright aluminum to become darker. We used the narrow (3 inch?)
acrylic (?) rollers, like you use to roll-on paint in narrow spaces. Up and
down, back and forth, until the skin was covered smoothly. Let is dry,
without rain or dew you hope. And don't polish it; mine has only been washed
with good old Dawn, although after nearly a year in Florida sun I do plan to
test a spot with the finish one uses on the new clearcoated automobiles. If
it holds, I'll give the whole top a coat of the clearcoat. INCIDENTALLY, we
did the entire top, from just above the front window and back window
rain-gutters and down the sides at the same cut-off point. (The sides of the
Airstream are quite bright so we did not paint the sides but we did do the
front and rear "domes" -- the rounded parts).

 Donald at Port O'Call, Melbourne, FL WBCCI 2875 kribbsdh@msn.com