Re: [A/S] I-70

Jon,

Without knowing more specifics about your trailer, all I can do is give some
ballpark numbers.

A 31' Sovereign has a factory weight of about 4970-5065 lbs, depending on
the floor plan.  Tongue weight is from 490 to 690, again depending on the
plan.  Then you'll have to add in the optional equipment weights, but I
think you should figure on about 650 lbs with tanks dry, for a total of up
to 5715 lbs.  That would be for a rear bath, double bed.  My center bath,
rear twins comes to 5126#.

You'll need a 2 5/16 inch ball, and at least a class III receiver.

You didn't say what you're using as a puller, but you're going to need at
least a 5.9L V-8 with a 3.53 or better rear end.  Anything smaller won't be
fun.

As far as routing, I'd consider leaving San Diego on I-8 East to it's
junction with I-17 North in Arizona, then on up through Phoenix to
Flagstaff.  East on I-40 to Albuquerque, then I-25 North and pick up I-70
out of Denver, where it's flatter.  I-70 East from Denver is a tough one,
and you'd want a good strong diesel to pull a 31 footer on that road.

Sounds like an interesting adventure.  Keep us all posted....we do like to
hear travel stories.

Good luck,

Roger

Roger Hightower