Re: [A/S] Grand Cherokee and Safari

rtimbach (??),

You will probably not appreciate my response but you asked so I will
truthfully report my observations.  My answers are intended to cause you to
think about your decision not to criticize your choice of towing vehicles.

Against all my recommendations and urging to the contrary, my adult daughter
bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee last year to tow her 1972 Airstream
Overlander 27'.  She has towed it between OH and TX and OH and TN on several
occasions.  She has acknowledged that she regrets the choice as a tow
vehicle but likes the Jeep for general use.

The Jeep will tow the trailer but with many shortcomings and limitations.
At best, your Jeep will be operating at the extreme limit of its
capabilities.  The small V8 engine produces limited torque, not at towing
speeds but at high rpm, so the transmission will continually shift down to
third or second gear when pulling grades.  This forces full-power downshifts
and winds the engine at high rpm, both of which greatly accelerate wear and
shorten life.  The unibody construction transmits awful sounds into the
passenger compartment when the Reese dual cam sway control hitch assembly
cams interact when turning.  I suspect that under the continual stresses of
frequent towing it is likely to tear the sheet metal where the hitch
receiver is attached to the unibody.  The short wheel base combination
requires white knuckle grip on the steering wheel and constant attention
when towing in gusty wind conditions or uneven road surfaces.

If you tow only occasionally, limit your towing to flat land, moderate
speeds, and ideal weather conditions, the Jeep will tow an Airstream.  If
you are a skilled driver, experienced at trailer towing, who understands and
recognizes threatening situations and is continually on the alert and
anticipating dangerous situations, you can probably tow "safely" with your
Jeep.  If an unexpected situation of suddenly appearing hazard, strong wind,
wet pavement, or other threat suddenly appears, you will be at much higher
risk of parking the Jeep and trailer on the side of the road with the wheels
pointed up.

When the manufacturer rates a light vehicle such as a mini-van or SUV for
6,500 pounds it is not intended to be used in continuous duty at those
ratings.  If you do so, you will quickly see rapid engine wear, transmission
failures, and other component failure.

I'm sorry that I cannot enthusiastically recommend your Jeep as an Airstream
towing vehicle.  If you were a close friend or relative I would urge you to
buy at least a long wheel base 1/2 ton pickup for towing.

It is your money, your vehicle, and your decision to make and my
observations, opinions, and recommendations are only worth what you paid for
them.

I wish you luck and years of enjoyment of your Airstream.

Harvey