Re: [A/S] Dometic Fridge Repair?

Wayne,

It is possible to replace the cooling unit but it is questionable whether it
is a good idea.  Some dealers/RV repair shops will offer either but tell you
it may be best to just buy a new fridge.  As always, it is your money and
your decision.

The prior owner of an '84 A/S I bought recently had installed a "cool pack",
whatever that is, several years back.  When I purchased the trailer the
fridge seemed to be working but on a trip of several weeks it began to spoil
food.  I had it checked out and it was cooling but not sufficiently.  Temps
in the freezer were around 12 degrees which made the food compartment (30
degrees warmer) in the 40s, insufficient for keeping food.

I have purchased a replacement fridge from Camping World and will be
installing it this week.  The new unit cost $987.50 with my labor or around
$1,300 to $1,500 installed by a professional.  I think I have heard
estimates of $600 - $800 to install a new cooling unit.

Harvey