[A/S] Trailer Accidents

Norma,

I understand your suggestion but it doesn't seem reasonable for Airstream,
Inc. or Airstream dealers to place themselves in the risky position of
advising the motoring public that an A/S should not be towed with a vehicle
whose manufacturer has rated it to tow up to specified weight limits.  A/S
and A/S dealers would be inviting lawsuits from vehicle manufacturers,
dealer associations, and owners and at the same time would be giving up
sales to other brand names who would gladly sell their travel trailers to
light duty SUV owners.

The subject of tow vehicle choices frequently pops up on the discussion
lists and the opinions expressed often create bad feelings among list
members.  Ultimately, the choice depends on the buyer/user who is entitled
to spend his or her own money in whatever way he or she chooses.  Many
factors such as driver experience, degree of caution exercised, percentage
of towing use, loading, size and weight of puller and trailer, equipment on
each, speed, wind, weather, terrain, vehicle maintenance, other drivers, and
chance will determine whether the rig is safe.

Those who have been towing travel trailers for many years under varying
conditions will tell you that it is possible to tow a trailer, frequently
even tow safely, with a short wheel base, light duty, car, SUV, or pickup
but it is far safer to do so with a 3/4 or one ton rated van, or truck.  The
margin of safety provided by the stronger, heavier, and longer vehicle will
sometimes make the difference.

This message is not intended as a criticism of anyone's vehicle choice.  I
value our freedom to make our own choices.

Harvey