[A/S] 1965 Overlander Brake Question

Just purchased a 1965 Overlander. On the tow home, for some reason when I
apply pressure on the brake pedel, the trailer brakes seem to lock.  If I use
the hand control, I can slow myself down enough to stop with lots of
anticipation. Am I not using the electric brakes properly?  Do they need to
be adjusted? Or is this just the nature of the beast?  Need help, please

                                                             Chuck & Lynn
                                                             1965 Overlander