Re: [A/S] Airstream Pullers

Thanks Leroy for your experiences.

I have a similar A/S which I've towed about 45k miles with a gas 460 Ford.
The capability to get fuel mileage in the 12 - 15 mpg range towing and 21
running light gets me excited.  My gas engine puller won't do anywhere near
15, even running light, and might do 21 mpg if the truck was on a rollback
wrecker with the engine idling.

I think you can relax and plan on enjoying your mountain travel with a
Dodge-Cummins and manual 5 speed transmission.  Is your '99 a 24 valve?
From what I've read the 24 valve is much more powerful than the 12 valve
predecessor.

In July '94, when my Ford was new, my wife and I took an extended A/S
vacation all over CO and up to Rapid City, SD.  We were towing a heavily
loaded 31'er and selected a circuitous route through all the most scenic
areas of Colorado based on the advice of a good friend who was a retired Air
Force officer (spent a couple of tours of duty at Colorado Springs).  The
gas big block Ford had no trouble pulling all the grades although we used a
lot of second gear and even low gear with light throttle a time or two.
Descending was no problem either because grade warning signs were common and
I just slowed at the top, shifted down, and used a combination of engine
compression braking and truck-trailer brakes to occasionally scuff off a
little speed and never had any remotely scary experiences.  Your diesel has
less compression braking but you can compensate with your exhaust brake.

Your Dodge has a lot more torque than my Ford and with an exhaust brake and
manual gearbox you will have no problem whatsoever.   Plan your trip to see
everything you want to see and go with confidence.  You have all the tow
vehicle anyone could ever need for an Airstream.  Of course a 15k # fifth
wheel would be a situation requiring a dually.

Harvey