Re: [A/S] Fw: Airstream Pullers

Harvey,
 You drive a TD truck the same way you drive a gas-powered truck as far
as I can see. It's just that you bypass a lot of gas stations. :-)

Water in Diesel fuel will ruin the injection system in short order,
causing VERY expensive repairs. For that reason, most Diesels today
include a water-in-fuel sensor, usually in the filter. The filter has a
drain that you should open periodically to check for the presence of
water. Filter change intervals vary with the manufacturer and depend a
lot on where you buy fuel.

Ford trucks have cylinder liners that are eroded by tiny bubbles caused
by the characteristic detonation. It's prevented by the use of a coolant
additive. This is NOT necessary with the Cummins, as it doesn't have
cylinder liners.

Diesel engines get their superior economy from their very high
compression ratio and the fact that Diesel fuel is quite a bit higher in
BTU value than gasoline. Going from memory, I think it's 135,000 vs.
115,000 BTUs per gallon. Also, a Diesel engine runs very lean except at
full load, so they really shine when running at part load.

They get their superior longevity because they're built much heavier
than most gas engines, just to stand the high compression and detonation
forces.

                                              <<Jim>>