[A/S] Breakaway Cable

I received a complementary copy of the Blue Beret from
April and was reading a story about hitch inspections
that were offered at a rally.  What was interesting to
me was the note that in the majority of the cases the
breakaway cables were connected to the hitch assembly
on the tow vehicles rather than to the tow vehicle
itself.  This was noted to be incorrect and the cables
should be attached to the vehicle component other than
a hitch component (I'm assuming I interpreted this
correctly).

According to the article, if the trailer is separated
from the hitch, the safety chains are to catch the
trailer.  Now the breakaway cable should also be
activated at that point.  The braking action of the
trailer should assist the chains and tend to lift the
hitch  keeping it from hitting a high spot or pavement
separation thus keeping the trailer from catapulting
over the tow vehicle.

Now to the question.  I was taught by a dealer 20
years ago to hook the breakaway cable around the hitch
pin on the tow vehicle receiver.  As a matter of fact
every dealer including my local A/S dealer has done
this when hitching up my new trailer to my tow
vehicles.  Based on the article I read, this is wrong.

I have looked for some alternative place on my van and
really can't find a location other than the pin.  The
supplied cable is too short to wrap around the van
bumper.  If can't use the receiver what's the answer
here?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jack

=====