Re: [A/S] tires

Years ago an old tire salesman gave me some advice on purchasing
tires for my veh. He advised me check the shipping weight of a tire.
It appears that one measure of quality is weight. if you look an in-
expensive tire and lift it and lift the same size tire that is
more expensive you'll tell very easy why the more expensive tire
costs more it has more to erase over its life. The second test to
perform is on an unmounted tire. Take your thumb and push in on
the side wall again the less expensive tire will give with very little
resistance.  Side wall strength is important for control
espically when you have a heavy load. The are other factors like
quality control that you can't see in a store and test. Another
area to look at is depth of tread. How much weight does it take to ballance
a tire on a wheel??? Better care in construction
will usually take less weight to ballance the tire. When you
look at what we get today in a tire compared to just a few years
ago its something. Its not unheard of to get 50-70,000 miles
Safe miles from a set of tires on your car I can't speak for a
heavy puller as i don't have one yet for my 22' Safari.
Steve