Re: [A/S] Astro question for Jack

I am a newbe regarding A/S so I can't give you much
advice on your Ambassador since I don't know the
weight of your unit.  Again I think the max towing
capacity of the Astro is still about 5,500 lbs. with a
4.10 rear end.  I don't know the specifics of your
vehicle.

I know that at 28 feet with my Electra (it really was
almost 29') the combination was relatively safe.  It
just wasn't comfortable though.  I worked hard keeping
a lookout for fast passing truck traffic and tried to
give them a little extra room as they flew by.  I
towed between 55 and 65 depending on road and wind
conditions.  I know that depending on traffic and
wind, when I finished 350-400 miles I was tired.

I failed to note that I was towing with an Astro EXT
which at the time was the longer wheelbased vehicle.
I think all of them are of that construction now
although I'm not sure when that change over occurred.

If you have the factory towing package, you should be
able to do some test towing and make up your mind.  If
you don't have this setup, then it could be an
expensive lesson.

Bottom line I think you really are marginal with the
Astro and I would suggest you look at something with a
little more wheelbase and weight as your tow vehicle.

Jack