Re: [A/S] Colorado In July ? Good Camping Spots ?

George, you've touched on our other love - Estes Park.  We love it so much we
bought a lot there to retire to in a few years.

Our favorite is Spruce Lake Campground.  It's privately owned, well
maintained, on the edge of the Big Thompson River and real convenient at the
corner of Mary's Lake Road and Moraine Ave.  You could easily bike all over
town from there.  We had two kids and what we liked about it was that they
have a footbridge over the Big Thompson to a little grocery store and gift
shop.  We could shag the kids over to get milk or bread or buy themselves an
ice cream cone.  Kept them busy and handy for us.  There's a little fishing
pond at the campground (extra charge).  Hope you're not intimidated parking
next to half-million dollar motorcoaches because they'll probably be there.
As for us, we were in a tent trailer at the time and I'm sure enjoyed
ourselves every bit as much as the high rollers!
http://www.estes-park.com/sprucelake/

If that doesn't work out there's a KOA on the east side of town.  It would be
up a hill coming home on a bike.  A bit of huffing and puffing might be
required (it's good for us!) but also very convenient.  Not as pretty a
setting as Spruce Lake and right on the highway into town.

I'll give you the URL listing several places.
http://www.estes-park.com/lodging/camp.html

Just let me know if you'd like the low-down on any of them.   We haven't
stayed in all of them but have at least seen all.
Hope you enjoy your stay in Estes and enjoy Rocky Mountain National Park.

Gary Zook
Lincoln, NE