Re: [A/S] Batteries,solar

Gary,
If you are always on shore power batteries aren't worth fretting
over. But if you boondock or depend on solar power, your battery
installation is one of the most important parts of your rig.
Your solar panels are not a small investment. To get the best
service from them you need deep cycle batteries. I use two 6 volt
golf cart batteries tied in series to work in a 12 volt system. Two
batteries in series act like a single battery so far at the charger
is concerned. Two 12 volt batteries in parallel produce 12 volts but
small differences in capacities, internal construction, etc., cause
them to charge unevenly. That reduces the effective capacity of the
batteries  and cause them to fail early.

Two regular batteries ( not deep cycle) of different design,
capacities, internal construction, and sizes may very well reduce
the effectiveness of your two panels to less than one battery. I
don't know what size your panels are but two modest size, say 45
watt, panels and two 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries
(available from Sams) with appropriate extras like the charger, etc.
is a very nice solar system that would serve you for six or eight
years with proper maintenance.

Some of that is just basic physics and a lot of that is my own
personal opinion, of course.

Good luck Gary,

Steele