Re: [A/S] Chevy Transmissions for Towing -Continuing the Discussion

I have been following this thread with much interest.
I've been towing with Chevy/GMC vans since 1980.
Three have been full size 1500 models set up as
factory passenger vans.  Specific names are GMC Rally
STX, Chevy Beauville, and my current van, Chevy
Express.  I also have towed with a '91 Chevy Astro EXT
Passenger Van (4.3 liter premium gas V6 with 4.10
axle).  All the vans except for the GMC came with the
HD factory towing package.

I towed the longest period of time with the Astro
(6,000 lb capacity).    I pulled a 21' Hi-Lo for 8
years and then a 28' Electra travel trailer for 2
years.  None of these vehicles have had transmission
problems.

I attribute my success to 3 factors.  First and
formost, I never tow in OD.  Secondly I change
transmission oil frequently.  Third, I have not
exceeded towing capacity or GCVW ratings.

My new Safari will come in about 700 lbs. heavier than
my Electra.  I feel that the towing load, once we are
up to speed, will be much less due to the A/S shape
versus the Electra box.

Bottom line I guess if you provide good maintenance
and proper towing habits (don't overload, stay out of
OD if recommended), the lighter weight tranny's will
hold up.

Jack Canavera
STL Mo.