[A/S] Flying J

Hi Gang,

Today is Sunday 04/08/01. When we left the COE Cg at Lake Wilson this morning, it was breezy. Almost
as soon as we pulled onto the Kansas Interstate, the wind picked up dramatically with severe gusts.
No fun at all. Just before noon, I pulled off the Interstate to wait it out at a Flying J truckstop.
Sometimes they are too crowded for us, but this time, there was plenty of room.

Coming down the off ramp, I heard our idler pulley squeeling. What a coincidence. We may stay
overnight. The Flying J Truck Stops offer 1 cent a gallon discount on fuel to RVers with their ID
card, have a dump station, sell propane, have a fresh water island, have all the amenities of a well
stocked traveler's store, a mini grocery store, showers for a fee and a restaurant with phones at
each booth. In the past, they've known where I could get mechanical service (but not on Sunday).

Each year, we've become better acquainted with this chain of truck stops. When we've needed service
on our truck, we have parked in their lot, disconnected the Airstream and left it there while taking
the truck to a nearby garage. Sandie isn't much on waiting in garages, so she stays with the trailer
and cell phone.

We haven't visited all the Flying J truck stops in the country, but each time the Manager has always
been cordial and helpful. I treat him like an old friend (never met him before) and he has always
reciprocated. So, first thing tomorrow morning, I'll be at the Ford dealer's shop (directions from
Flying J Manager) and hopefully, we'll be on our way again by noon (if this buffeting wind calms
down). There are periods of calm followed by gusts so strong our trailer rocks even though we're
parked.

When we first started traveling, I used to be concerned about having breakdowns or needing service
in unfamiliar communities. Those days are long gone. It is not only fairly simple to get quality
service at a fair price, but it generally adds good memories to the trip. When we can, I try to
arrange service stops using the Escapees RV Club "Day's End listings" as a guide. These listings are
compiled by other members on the basis of their satisfaction with work done for them. This doesn't
mean we don't have bummer experiences, because we do. They are not the norm.

On a different topic, I pulled together all our caravan journal log entries and sent them out today
from the restaurant here at the Flying J Truck Stop. If you are interested in them, by all means
take your time reading them. If this sort of email posting isn't your cup of tea, then please delete
and go on to something else. If you have any questions about caravaning or leading a caravan, many
of us on this list will gladly reply.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net