Re: [A/S] truck and trailer insurance coverage

I have separate policies; on the tow vehicle and other vehicles we have
AMICA, on the A/S we have Foremost.  Massachusetts regulates the biggest
part of insurance.  You can find insurance cheaper in other states for sure.
Vehicle for vehicle barring NY and maybe CA, I would say MA is the most
expensive for insurance.

I had AMICA on the A/S, but found out that the insured figure isn't
necessarily what they pay out on a total loss.  Even though you pay on a per
thousand basis for coverage, you only get what they feel your RV is worth.

I had a '73 Airstream in '91-'98 and thought it was worth more than $10k, so
I insured it for I think $15k which was what I thought was the replacement
value.  After I paid on it for a few years, I questioned them about paying
out on a total loss and that is when I found out they only pay for what I
paid for it or less because of the aging issues, I left them.  I felt they
cheated me by taking my money, knowing they would never pay me what was due
me.

My Foremost agent told me that the insured figure is what I would get if
there was a total loss.  He said it would be "replacement" value or what I
paid for it, less depreciation.  So, if I paid $10k for a '73 and had a
total loss soon after I bought it, I would get the $10k, but if a few years
had passed, maybe I would get replacement value.

I send my agent an updated list of furnishings and gadgets everytime we add
something.  I have photos of the solar system, batteries, TVs and CD player
just in case of a disaster.

I have heard nothing but good words from folks that have had claims from
Foremost.  I heard about a fellow that had a $24K loss at Bismarck years
ago.  That's a major loss.  I also know folks that lost a big awning in May
and then had a total loss on the 27'(?) A/S trailer about 2-3 months later.

You have to ask questions....if you just imagine they'll pay off, you could
become a major loser.

Rich