[A/S] Univolt/Charger replacement

From my earlier post, I need to replace a 30 year old Progressive
Dynamics Power converter. The current model would be the Intellipower
PD 9140A a 40 amp unit. The present unit is 35A. The unit fried a
battery and besides its a 30 year old unit and battery
charging technology has changed.

It will be going in a '71 31' Excella.

Our previous camping experience with this trailer is to drive no more
than 3 hours away, plug into the campground power, stay the weekend
and come home. We've done this no more than 5 times a year. We might
go and stay a week this year.

If the "power converter" is just a battery charger, why can't you
hard
wire in a automotive type 10a/2a automatic battery charger. I would
try to use the low voltage distribution panel from the old converter.

I was thinking of either a Schumacher charger from WalMart
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=4333&dept=3911&product_
id=880819&path=0:3911:3914:4333&type=1

or a BatteryMinder from Camping World
http://www.campingworld.com/shop/products/index.cfm?type=product&skunu
m=18188

I think that the battery minder would be the best option because in
reality the trailer is not used as much as it should. Maintaining the
battery versus replentishing the battery seems to be more important.

Or, could I bypass the old charging portion of the univolt and wire
in the new charger?

If I'm not mistaken the only 12v usage is for the overhead lights,
the
water pump, furnace fan, and ceiling fans. if you're self-contained.

Is my thinking along the right path or am I missing something?

Thanks for your input and advice

Tom & Barb Beitz
Riverton, NJ
DelVal NJ Unit