Re: [A/S] Argosy Newbie

J.L.,
 The UniVolt does charge the battery.

The problem with the UniVolt and most other converters is that they
over-charge the battery if left plugged in for long periods, you'll
notice some water usage. OTOH: They charge a "low" battery very slowly,
usually at only 4 or 5 amps, so it takes literally DAYS to fully charge
it if it's run down.

The best converters are from folks like StatPower, Inteli-Power, etc.
These are true 3-stage battery chargers and will bring back a low
battery in a few hours, yet not overcharge the battery if left plugged
in for long periods.

Treating a battery with kindness involves several things:

1. Keep the water level above the plates, preferably using distilled
water. (I save water from my dehumidifier in the Summer)
2. Always keep it fully charged, never allow it to sit in a discharged
condition.
3. Don't over-discharge it. No more than 50% is best, NEVER go below a
25% charge.
4. Don't over-charge it.
5. Give it an occassional equalizing charge; this is a slight
over-charge for a few hours. Most of the good chargers (see above) have
provisions for equalizing the battery(s); the Inteli-Power does it
automatically.
6. Keep it clean and dry on top and clean off any corrosion on the
terminals. I coat terminals and wire ends with grease before making the
connections. It's messy, but effective.

GelCell batteries will take certain kinds of abuse w/o harm, but have
their own idiosyncrasies. You never equalize them, and they won't stand
overcharging. The converter/charger should have a special setting for
GelCells, as they require a slightly lower charging voltage.

                                      <<Jim>>