[A/S] Re: MARDI GRAS RALLY

     I don't think Mardi Gras is pagan, at least not entirely.  Mardi
Gras is usually translated to mean "fat Tesday," a reference to the
feasting that occurrs in many Catholic countries (maybe others, too)
on the day before Ash Wednesday (called Shrove Tuesday), when Lenten
fasting begins.  That's a Christian tradition; of course, many
Christian holidays were chosen to placate non-Christians in the early
days...holidays like Christmas, Easter, and others, were chosen to
coincide with existing "pagan" holidays.
     "Lots of weird people" seems like an understatement, especially
if you saw a dead body somewhere; Eew, don't need that; and a
robbery...double eew.  Still, glad you enjoyed the rally part,
especially those wild Texans...keep coming to them; I've been to five
State, National or International ones, so far, and enjoyed them all,
especially the Swiss Festival and the Tulip Time Festival; these are
special because of the great work of the units that sponsor them.  If
you like bluegrass and country fiddlin', you can't go wrong with the
Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddler's Rally, although it's not as
tightly organized as some other national ones.  The International
last summer was a bit too pompous for my taste, but there's plenty
other stuff to do and see, both on-site and off, and it's always fun
to visit friends.

- Dick
(5368)