Re: [A/S] Trailer weight

Jim,

The owner's manual for my '66 Safari 22' claims a weight of 3,360 pounds but
that is probably somewhat lighter than a '79 Safari which is one foot longer
at 23'.  Factory weight figures were dry weights exclusive of options and
without water, LPG, bedding, utensils, food, clothing, camping
paraphernalia, etc.  A better estimate would be close to 5,000 pounds ready
to travel.  A trip to a public scale fully loaded for travel would be
desirable.

My daughter tows a '72 Overlander 27' with a new Jeep Grand Cherokee,
against my best advice.  The engine has adequate power to move the trailer
but she admitted that it tended to downshift excessively in hilly terrain
which means the engine alternately lugs, then, after a forced (full torque)
downshift, the engine turns high rpms.  In that situation her Jeep engine
and transmission are being stressed pretty severely which will reduce the
service life of the Jeep.

Of greater concern though would be the inherent instability with a short
wheelbase.  My daughter and you might get away with towing with a Jeep for
years and never have a problem but mountain grades, slippery surfaces,
gusting winds, sudden overtaking by an 18 wheeler, and the requirement to
make a sudden accident avoidance maneuver could be pretty scary or even
dangerous with a short wheel base tow vehicle.

If you are experienced and careful, for occasional towing at moderate speeds
over relatively flat terrain under good to ideal conditions, your Jeep Grand
Cherokee powered by a V8 engine will tow your trailer.  Have you checked
your owner's manual or Jeep dealer to learn the manufacturer's maximum
trailer towing rating?  It is probably 5,000 pounds.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it but it is offered with good
intentions.

Best wishes,
Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX