Fw: [A/S] Shower Leak

Hi Mike E Geld,

I'm a novice at this A/S restoration having bought my first, a 69 Safari
in December, '00.  It has a rear bath with tub on the curbside and the sink
in the center.  Because I noted considerable floor rot, I chose to remove all
the interior plastic panels.  It takes a while to remove the trim strips,
drill out the rivets, and remove the panels.  Unfortunately, in my unit,the
panels are installed from the floor UP.  Meaning that you can't
effectively pull out the panel around the bottom of the sink that also allows
accessto the shower line.  The access you want is gained by removing the
entiresink top!  "U"nfortunately (this will be the standard for working on
A/S plumbing), you have to remove he sink  water connections (not bad as they
are typical nut type fasteners.  "U", the sink "P" trap threaded couplingis
glued!  Meaning that you can't just disconnect the "P" trap and then remove
the sink after taking out a hundred rivets.  You have to cut a straight
section of the drain and leave enough to glue in a new "P" trap to
reinstall the sink.  I used a reciprocating saw, but the flexible wires used
for cutting plastic pipe might be best for the location.  Don't think this is
going to be an easy task.  Rivets turn up in the damnest places and are
both from the inside and outside of the panel.  I haven't attempted to
reinstall the panels and can't give you any learned advice about proper fit.

I think that most restorers would opt to cut out the broken copper pipe
and replace it with plastic once you have access.  I've pretty much opted to
patch the copper pipe and ABS drains.  I had to cut the water lines that
go to the tub mixing valves for the same reason I had to cut the sink "P"
trap. A/S never intended that there be simple plumbing fixes for typical RV
plumbing problems!

Is it unreasonable to think that one broken pipe is your only freeze problem?
 Did you really follow the recommended winterizing water drain procedure?
Could you have other severely swollen copper pipes that will leak, one place
after another?  I've heard that you might use a michrometer and measure the
diameter of much of the pipe to determine if it's oversize from freeze.  How
about the water pump/filter/pipes?  If they weren't properly drained, there
could be damage to the pump and filter.

Fortunately, I had an experienced serviceman in the A/S park where I
bought the trailer show me how to winterize the unit.  Additional reading of
the owner's manual gave me the tips that the serviceman took for granted that
everyone already knew.  The key was using air pressure into the water
supply line at the rear of the trailer and opening all the drains, faucets,
etc.to be sure all the water was purged from the system.  this included
"rocking" the trailer by using the tongue jack to be sure enough "unleveled"
condition would help drain the lines.

Unfortunately, I don't know what I would do in your situation where the
temperature dropped to "0" degrees.  This happened to me two years ago
while traveling with my conversion van.  Grand Canyon went to "0" degrees in
early December.  With a functional heater operating while overnight, I don't
think the A/S would have a freeze problem "IF" the convenience hatch is
properly sealed and the holding tank housing is sealed to the floor.  My
owners manual says that the forced air from the furnace circulates around the
 holding tank, then up through the floor cutouts for the plumbing, and
warms the area behind the bathroom panels to keep them from freezing.
Another vent enters the water pump/water tank area for the same purpose.  For
other interior plumbing, the cabinet doors are to be left open so the
interior heat can protect the pipes.  Talk about an obstacle course in the
dark of night during a lizard drain! :)

Assuming that I'll be caught in freezing weather with water in most of the
lines, a question for the group is: "How do I keep the lines from freezing
while towing?"  Can the furnace be operated safely while towing or is this
even an option?

I must apologize to the A/Slist for this long post.  As a novice, I have
so many questions to be answered and so little time!

Joy