Re: [A/S] WBCCI and today's Airstreamer

James,

I share many of your views about WBCCI but have been expressing them
off-list to a select group of people.

I purchased my first Airstream in 1993 but had owned and used trailers since
1971.  I tried being a member of my local WBCCI unit for about three years
from 1996 -1999 but didn't enjoy it much.  The local folks are all nice,
were friendly toward me, but there was a large difference in ages and
interests and they insisted on pushing me onto the 3rd VP to President path
against my will.  They wouldn't allow me to just be a member.  So, as 1stVP
I allowed my membership to lapse at the end of 1999 and faded away.  I
remained a member of the VAC though because that is where my interests lie
although I also own a larger, newer A/S.

Recently, on the VACList, I realized that there were members of the
Washington DC Unit of WBCCI who lived far away from DC.  Inquiring, I
learned that they are a new unit, younger, more interested in vintage A/Ss
(many of them are VAC members also), and have views similar to my own.

I have rejoined the WBCCI as a member of the WDCU although I live in TX.  I
plan to try to join the unit and the VAC in some activities this year.

If you want to belong to a WBCCI unit with fresh ideas, interested in
growing the WBCCI over the coming years by infusing new ideas and
activities, I recommend you contact members of the WDCU.  Bill Scott,
wescott50@webtv.net   is membership chairman.  Bill is the first member I
contacted and his response impressed me.  Try it, I think you'll like it.

By the way, reading between the lines you seemed to indicate you retired
from military service.  So did I.  I spent 27+ years in the USN.

Regards,
Harvey