[A/S] New Airstreamer!

Hi Don Slack,

Don, Welcome to Airstreaming. By all means, join WBCCI as a member-at-large, ask about the local
group of Airstream owners in your area and get the Unit President's name. Then, call her/him and
introduce yourself as a new owner. Tell him/her that you'd like to attend a Winter Meeting and a
Spring Rally - where you can meet a few of the members and learn more about Airstreaming and WBCCI.
Go slow while getting to know what the group does and how they interact together. It's a two way
street of getting acquainted with individual members while they are learning more about you.

There are dozens of local groups in a dozen regions around the continent. Those of us who have been
WBCCI members for awhile, have attended many rallies, often with other local groups during our
annual travels. Each local group is different and each provides unique opportunities to enjoy the
fun and adventure of traveling with friends who also happen to own Airstreams. We belong to one unit
as a "regular" member, three units as an "affiliate" member and two Intra-Clubs as a member. My
point is there are many options for getting involved in WBCCI. By finding groups that really spark
your interest and enthusiasm, you'll enjoy the club immensely. Try to stay with the big picture and
you'll have more choices than you imagined possible.

My third point is really a suggestion. Over the years, many RVers who don't own Airstreams have
noticed how Airstreamers seem to have a grand time together. Some of these non-Airstreamers have
chosen to hurl disparaging remarks at us, like Airstreamers are snobs, or cult members, or people
who think they are better than others. Yuk! Those of us who have been on the receiving end of such
comments rigorously avoid language and personal behavior that may inadvertently give that
impression. Instead, we try to accurately express our interest in people as individuals, as who they
are and how they relate to each other, and never for the brand of RV they own. "People" are more
important than the "things" they own.

Again, Welcome aboard and know that you've joined a group of people who thoroughly enjoy a way of
life that's available to any RVer. The only difference with WBCCIers is everyone owns an Airstream.

Terry Tyler
WBCCI 6477
1977 31' Airstream Excella 500
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net

PS - Today (01/17/01), we rolled into the Foothills area of Yuma, AZ for a second dose of warm
weather. This time, we rented a full hookup site on a house lot (a first for us). The Foothills area
in Yuma is RV Heaven when it comes to zoning laws. Yet, four doors down and across the street are
a 10,000 acres of wilderness desert land. It doesn't take any imagination to picture what it was
like 100 years ago or 8,000 years ago.

Yesterday morning, we were driving on the Interstate west of Willcox, Arizona when the forcasted
rain showers unexpectedly changed to snow showers and THEN, changed to a white-out blizzard, dumping
three inches of snow (flakes the size of golf balls) on us in less than an hour. Our windshield
wipers quickly became overwhelmed and blurred the freezing snow/rain. The windshield defroster was
on maximum heat and blowing capacity, yet struggled to keep a patch of windshield clear. The de-icer
nipples on the wipers were buried under sticky, freezing snow/rain.

Fortunately, we found an exit and side road to hunker down and wait it out. After deciding not to
put on chains, I promptly got stuck. A half hour later, the sun came out, melting occurred, the
roads warmed up and we continued chugging along. Yesterday had more excitement and personal
vulnerability than we anticipated or needed. The lesson I've learned many times is that no matter
how well prepared and capable I think I am; weather can humble me with little or no notice.

Last night, we thanked the Man upstairs for keeping us safe.