RE: [A/S] Re: Dodge diesel with standard transmition.

"You cannot tow with GM trucks in overdrive"

That is too general of a statement to be correct.  I own a 1999 Suburban.
Page 4-47 of my owners manual states "You should tow in OVERDRIVE (D).  You
may want to shift the transmission to THIRD (3) or, if necessary, a lower
gear selection if the transmission shifts too often (e.g., under heavy loads
and/or hilly conditions)."

I followed these guidelines with my 1997 Yukon (350) towing a 4700 lb
trailer many 1000's of miles with no problems.  67,000 miles when replaced
with the 1999 Suburban (454).  The Suburban has towed my 8000+ lb Airstream
many 1000's of miles without any problems.

IMHO the "don't tow in overdrive" is either another of those urban legends
or outdated information that applies only to older hardware.

Dick Martin
1999 GMC 4x4 454 cid Suburban
2000 31' Limited