Re: [A/S] Dodge diesel with standard transmition.

Jim,
 As you didn't quote any of the message you're replying to, I have to assume
that it was mine.

The prices I posted in my message came from that web site at
http://www.drivetrain.com. It took me 10-15 minutes of searching on the
Internet to find them, but I had found similar information about the Getrag
transmission being poor (at best) previously, along with the recommendation
of changing it for the NV4500.

It's entirely possible that Burns didn't overcharge you, I don't know
exactly what they did. That site above did say that the Getrag is a very
expensive transmission to rebuild, so perhaps they weren't out of line. You
were obviously in a tight spot, being away from home, etc.

I surely hope that such a calamity doesn't befall me in our travels, but one
thing that I'd probably do before spending that sort of $$$ is fire up the
ol' computer and do a bit of homework on the Internet FIRST. After all, I
still have my 'home' (the trailer), so I can sit for a day or 2 while I sort
out my options. In fact, I have a friend in McAllen, TX who I would have
asked for advice as to a good local transmission shop.

I feel as bad about your losses on this trip as is possible for someone who
wasn't actually there. The only good that can come from it is if we can all
learn something from your experience. My own philosophy would be that at
least no one was hurt or injured, it could have been much worse.

<<Jim>>