Re: [A/S] First and last caravan.-additions

Yes, after 140,000 miles, all systems are go. The 4Runner itself weighs in at
just under 4300 lbs. Tow limit on 4Runner is 5000 lbs. standards set without
regard to the efficiency of trailering an Airstream. Dry weight is 4780,
although I usually tow at 5350-5400 lbs. Would never try to tow 5400 lbs with
this rig unless it were an Airstream. I have towed the Airstream up 7, 8, and
9 degree grades, as high as 11,000 feet in the Rockies and 10,000 feet in the
Sierras. Altitudes at or near the Arctic Ocean were not that high, relative
to the big mountains in the lower 48 and British Columbia.

4Runner details:

3.4 L V6 4WD, factory everything. 16 inch wheels. Reese hitch. Transmission
has never been touched except for inspections. Service techs tell me tranny
is in perfect condition, although there really is no definitive review of its
condition without taking it apart. The evidence they use is small metal parts
in fluid, and none have ever been found.

Always disable overdrive to preserve tranny, and high octane gas--91-94, for
engine. Speed on big hills sometimes as slow as 30-40 MPH, but it is worth
it. The price I pay is watching those big diesels pass me, although when one
of the semis is fully loaded I can often pass it--big consolation, I know.

MPG is 15-17 towing on the mixed country roads/freeways. MPG depends on gas
quality and other variables. Has been over 20 MPG in freeway driving, no
wind, at 60 MPH for extended periods.

Pulled out of the Salt River Canyon only 500 miles into the trek, back in
1997. When I made it to the top there I knew I had a solid set up. Made it to
the top of a pass in Alaska which has the most snow totals of any pass in
North America---974 inches. Think about that one.....

When I find a home for my two Great Pyrenees, at  120 lbs each, who love cold
weather and hate hot weather, I am considering pulling the trailer down to
Southern Argentina. Anyone want to go?

Sincerely,

Robert
1997 Excella Classic, 21'