[A/S] First and last caravan.

For a very long time I have dreamed of going ourrland through Mexico to
Belize and finaly the chance came. A couple of months ago I started to get
things in order and to be ready to go.
The dodge with the Cummings had 93k miles on it not too much for a Cummings
doesent use any oil.
I had the breaks replaced along with 2new roters which did not look up to
parr. Replaced the clutch. put on 4new tires on the truck 4 new tires on the
(Silver Albatross) Exstry hoses and belts oil filters Bulbs sealed beam
headlight unit new fule filter Water pufirer in trailer. Repacked the trailer
wheel bearnings. Took a shakedown cruse to PA. for the Autom Leafe Festivle.
Aprox2400miles.
nothing left to chance. Drove to Mc Allan Texas 1334 miles to join the
others(a wonderful friendly bunch of VAC members)
71 miles into Mexico while crusing on leavel roada with the cruse control at
48mph the transmition jumped out of 5th gear and there was no gears at all.no
noise just s slight 'clunk' and nothing. I have driven cars and trucks with
standard transmitions for 60 years and never had a standard transmition
fail.But I have never owned a dodge
now for the good part.
Tow to a town in Mexico $180.00
To the mechanic who tore it down $245.00
Tow less than 100miles to Texas $850.00
10 days campground waiting on a new transmition $140.00
Repair bill parts and labour $5143.17
Non refundable fee to join the caravan $1800.00
To add insult to injury the fridge in the Silver Albatross quit
The rig now sits in the driveway I am almost afraid to mive it into the side
yard to sit and biodegrade.
Will I eaver try to tow it again at this time I say no I am sure something
else will go wrong. Meby next month or next year I will feel diffenterly.
We planned and saved for a long time for this trip eavery thing went to hell.
Jim Smith
1965 Tradewind
1992 Dodge Cummings