[A/S] Handling the hitch; was Front Jack

     I, too, have had some lapses of that kind, including jacking the
trailer up to unhitch and having it move off on its own (only a couple
of feet, but it was scary).
     I've found that I must have a routine...First, chock the trailer
tires; second, remove the connections to the tow vehicle and release
the toggles; third, release the tension on the springbar jacks (this
must be done before using the tongue jack, if you want the hitch to
remember its setting); finally, raise the hitch to 12" above the
ground - this is the distance that releases the pressure on the hitch
bar, for me.
     I've even forgotten which end of the bar to unhitch, removed the
pin from the platform, and drove off, leaving the hitch bar in the
trailer tongue.
     Life's getting too adventuresome!

- Dick
(5368)