Re: [A/S] Globetrotter 1969????

Sarah,
    We have a 1969 Globetrotter  (Capitan, New Mexico).  I really don't know if
we got a good deal on it or not.  It is the first Airstream we have ever owned
and we bought it locally.  We hadn't priced any others before we bought it, but
since we bought it we have learned that $2,500 is about what the insurance
companies will insure for A/S over 25 years old.    It is in good shape except
for it needs a lot of cleaning up.  The wheels are original split-rims and so we
have to replace them (they are not safe).  Everything works, but there are no
curtains or cushions on the inside and the carpeting needs replacing (we are
going to replace it with linoleum  -- "original"  had white square asbestos
tiles), and the countertop needs replacing.  A little sandaper and a fresh coat
of stain on the cupboards is all it needs really.  The propane tanks are, of
course, rusted, so we are going to replace them.  The outside is oxidized but
otherwise in good shape (two very small dents).  There is rust on the tonge and
rear bumper, but a little sandpaper and paint will fix that.
    All in all, I think we can fix it up for very little cost other than the
tires and wheels.  That is something you should look at -- I would just replace
the tires regardless of how much tread they look like they have -- they might
have "dry rot" (if that's the right word) from sitting.  If he said he was
living in it, then you might assume that all the appliances work, etc.
Kerry