[A/S] Re: [AS} dura torque

> although really we should defer to Dick Kenan, our resident PHD
Physicist.

Not really.  A Ph.D. is a research degree, and probably does not make
one any more qualified for practical matters than a BS or other
degree or no degree; an ME structural engineer would be my choice to
analyze the statics of a hitch.

> But here goes; it's as simple as this: the bars, when tensioned,
create (1) a
> downward force on the A-frame members of the *trailer*; and (2) a
lifting
> force on the *tow vehicle* hitch which is transmitted to the ball.
The two
> forces meet and oppose each other precisely at the ball.  The
increased stress
> on the ball is compressive, not shear or tensile, so my guess is
that there is
> little concern for shortened life of the stem.  It just means you
*really*
> need to keep the ball greased, which you ought to do anyway.

     I agree with this.  My view of the Reese hitch on my 1972 Safari
is that it's like a spring toggle that wants to bend the rig at the
ball and stand it on the trailer tires and the front tires of the tow
vehicle.  Of course, that doesn't actually happen, but some of the
tongue load is taken from the hitch platform and re-distributed to the
trailer and tow-vehicle front tires.  The net result on the ball is an
increase in compressive force, which is of little or no consequence.
     It is the loading on the hitch platform (receiver) that we should
be worrying about.  It is subjected to a torque from the spring bars,
but the carryied load is not increased; it may be decreased.  If the
"load" on the ball were increased by 600# (the example offered
earlier), we'd really be in trouble, as the load-carrying capacity of
our hitches would be exceeded (it's typically 1000#; 12% or my 5000#
loaded Safari would be another 600#).
     In short, the load distributing bars do little or nothing serious
to the hitch ball or to the platform itself.  Of course, you should
check the tightness of the ball, the torque on the hitch platform
bolts, and look for cracks in the platform on a regular basis.  Use
common sense, and all will be well.

- Dick
(5368)