Re: [A/S] Re: [AS} dura torque

I hesitate to jump into this one because of the eloquence already on display
from others, and my great respect for the opinions of some individuals.
Having a physics degree on my wall, however, makes this one irresistable,
although really we should defer to Dick Kenan, our resident PHD Physicist.

But here goes; it's as simple as this: the bars, when tensioned, create (1) a
downward force on the A-frame members of the *trailer*; and (2) a lifting
force on the *tow vehicle* hitch which is transmitted to the ball.  The two
forces meet and oppose each other precisely at the ball.  The increased stress
on the ball is compressive, not shear or tensile, so my guess is that there is
little concern for shortened life of the stem.  It just means you *really*
need to keep the ball greased, which you ought to do anyway.

John