Re: [A/S] Re: Equalizing Hitches (was: Dura-Torque)

Jim Clark wrote:

> If you are forced for some reason to park with the nose of the truck
> up in the air due to unlevel ground or what ever, don't try to
> reconnect the equalizer bars in that location... pull the trailer
> with the ball only to a location where the truck and trailer are a
> more normal attitude (level) and the spring bars will be much more
> forgiving...(you can get hurt)

Related to the above statement, also watch it when attaching the spring
bars while the tow vehicle is pointing down in relation to the trailer,
what might seem just the right tension while attaching the spring bars
will be too much once the rig is out on level ground.

I managed to snap a spring bar this way. I've also always wondered if I
might have bent the tongue up ever so slightly on my trailer. I can't
site down the length because of the belly Pan . . . so . . . an
inspection will have to wait.

I wasn't around when the previous owner hooked everything up for me
before I got there (I bought the tow vehicle from him also). I wasn't
more than a 100 yds from his driveway when it snapped.

bobb