Re: [A/S] Unused Airstream & Spartan? Sighting in OK

Hi Cindy and Carl,

Glad to read you have been working your way through Oklahoma. How did you fare at the ghost town in
Headrick around Halloween?

The silver/gray trailer you mentioned sounds like a Spartan Royale Mansion we owned when first
married. In 1956, we towed our 31' Spartan from Norfolk, VA to Quonset Point, RI with a 1951 6
cylinder, 4 door, standard transmission Plymouth. That was one of my dumber towing decisions.

Isn't it something how every old Airstream parked in a field or behind a house stands out to us?
Nearly each day when we tow our Airstream to a new campsite, we see another one just waiting to be
rescued. And, we only travel 200 miles a day. Old Airstreams, Avions, Silver Streaks, Streamlines
and Spartans are everywhere. Today, a family with a '78 28' Avion gave us the history of Avions
(we've heard it many times before) with great enthusiasm. They too, are explorers of the continent
and their RV has similar, but different features requiring regular attention. We learned their '78
28' Avion weighed 7600 pounds on the scales yesterday. Our '77 31' Airstream weighed 8625 pounds on
the scales at the Eastern Escapade (09/16/00) in Goshen, Indiana. The frame on their Avion is
significantly more substantial than the one on our Airstream - and both frames were made within a
year of each other with what was then common knowledge about structural strength. Hmmm.

We'll be in Yuma this week visiting several friends. If you and Carl plan to be in the Yuma area,
you might like the boondocking sites we mentioned in yesterday's posting. Since then, we've found
another BLM site on the other side of CR6 (off Laguna Dam Road which is also Avenue 7E off US 95).
There is a full time BLM volunteer on duty with a truck camper and red pick-up. He knows which sites
are the most desireable and which are not. He has a good grip on many VERY USEFUL details. We would
suggest using the "back-in" campsites just past and across the highway from the Yuma Lakes Colorado
River Adventures sign. The others are just past the Yuma Lakes sign on the same side and up a short
rise to a plateau (great position if rain is expected).

Today, we visited the Escapees Park in Yuma and noticed a "for sale" sign on the bulletin board for
a catalytic heater - 5800 BTU ($100). That's a good price, but we don't need another one. The park
phone number is 520-344-0645. Bill & Lee Miller (who have a lot at the Minnesota Airstream Park) are
Assistant Managers this year. They would know which resident owns the heater and could provide the
necessary lead to anyone on this list who is interested.

Later,

Terry
'77 31' Excella 500 with the full, silver gray moustache and tinted shades.
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net