RE: [A/S] Younger Members

I s'pose I'd be included in the 'younger' set here, though looking in the
mirror makes me wonder :).  We've got 3 children - 12,14 and 16 - and both
work.  I'll be joining the VAC (CT Charter Oak Chapter), but probably not
the WBCCI.  With both of us working and all 3 in school, the caravans really
aren't an option.  By joining the local VAC, I'll at least know where the
local get-togethers are, and if we're free, I'd definitely plan on
attending.

As far as being "non-social" or whatever, I don't think I'd say that...but
with families being as busy as they are now, when it's vacation time, I know
that my family and the others that I know don't spend a lot of time
wondering what others are doing.  It's "every family for itself" time!  With
all the activities/hobbies now available, camping with a group of campers
has dropped in (I don't want to say the work 'popularity') attendance.
Watersports (jetskis, boats), athletic sports (leagues in town), amusement
parks (for the originality-impaired) and any number of other things-to-do
all would tend to interfere completely with a long-term caravan and quite
regularly with weekend get-togethers.

For myself, the youngest is involved in Scouting (and I'm the Scoutmaster)
so I'm outta town at least one weekend a month all year.  This involvement
also precludes me from taking an active role in the VAC chapter - I'll
receive the newsletter and peruse it, seeing what I like.  The daughter is
heavily involved in school music programs - weekend football games,
rehearsals, etc...

When we camp, we decide where we wanna go - and we go.  By receiving the VAC
newsletter, I'll let that factor into our plans, but (completely personal
here) probably not plan a vacation just in order to attend one.

Just by the way - I'm a hobbyist.  EVERY hobby I've belonged to, without
exception, has complained about the lack of 'new blood' and how to attract
more members.  While interested in radio-control airplanes, I read lots of
old magazines (40's and 50's) and read the same thing THEN.  The thought is
always (ready for a familiar refrain?) "This hobby has gotten too expensive
for the normal person" and "We've got to figure out how to help them into
our hobby".

We've all found our way here more or less by mistake.  I'm a lifelong
camper, recently buying my Argosy and thrilled with it.  WHile searching for
information, I came across you guys and the WBCCI and will be following
along with all the upcoming stuff...whether or not I meet you in person,
I'll be enjoying myself :).

By teh way - my drill when setting up camp is.. Level it/awning
setup/lawnchair setup/beer.  Done for the weekend... :)