Re: [A/S] Re: Ground Faults and hook ups

The GFCI breaker in the panel these days costs a minimum of $38 while
the receptacle costs $7 and the receptacle will provide GFCI protection
to other receptacles wired after it. The receptacle won't provide over
current protection to other receptacles, but an $8 breaker in the panel
will provide over current protection for all the receptacles on a
circuit. I don't think there is a significant difference in safety
either way because I don't think there's a significant difference in
circuitry. Though its possible that the breaker based GFCI will survive
a short better than a receptacle base GFCI on the premise that the
breaker is designed to trip under over current like a short while the
GFCI might suffer welded contacts in that situation to make it fail to
function as a GFCI later. I've not been involved with that as a GFCI
problem so have not taken any GFCI breakers or receptacles apart for an
inspection. It is important to test a GFCI breaker or receptacle
regularly using a GFCI tester or the test button on the GFCI receptacle
to be sure it hasn't ceased functioning.

I have all the outlets in my barn on GFCI receptacles with no failures
to protect that I've noticed in some 12 years now. My SOB parked there
and plugged in all the time does tend to trip the GFCI during a rain.

I plan to add a GFCI receptacle to my Caravel, then feed the existing
receptacles from it, with copper wire if I can pull it in. May not get
around to that until next year. In the mean time the aluminum wire isn't
being used by me.

Gerald J.