Re: [A/S] Window Rock Guards vs. Custom Vinyl/Canvas

>is it worth it to me to blow $600 on rock shields?  With 3 kids, 2
> dogs, etc., etc., $600 is HARD to come by.

Try looking up Canvas Boat Covers. A lot of them are custom made.

> 2 trains of thought: I'll bet that snap-on vinyl covers wouldn't set you
> back more than a couple hundred tops.  Thick, padded stuff would work and
> probably deflect most stuff.

Most canvas makers try to get these canvas boat top fairly tight. I would think
that if you could get a standoff of some kind around the edges (raise the canvas
surface up from the surface of the window) that it would work great for
deflecting most everything.

> Second train of thought:  How's about a good,
> friendly window place?

How about a combination. The typical Boat cover maker, has the ability to place
thick, but still flexible, clear vinyl panels into the snap down covers.

> Plexiglas is bendable with hot water...if you made a
> template from cardboard/paper/anything and cut out a sheet of plexi, boiled
> it (I don't know the heat required - it ain't high), then forced it to fit,
> stuck it on with a coupla screws here and there, you'd still be able to see
> out... and they'd provide a ton of protection.

The above could, hard vinyl (or even Lexan), be places into the canvas, think of
convertible tops with the clear back windows.

For what it's worth.

bobb