[A/S] Oklahoma City, OK - October 22, 2000

Hi Gang,

We left Amarillo and drove to Clinton, Oklahoma.  We stopped at the only
campground there, Wink's.  No one was home so we followed instructions and
parked the rigs and went off to sight see and check out the antique mall.
When we got back the owner, an elderly man, came over and asked me where the
"boss" was.  I stared at him, uncomprehending at first.  Then it sank in.
"I'm the boss of *this* trailer," I told him.  He was surprised.  Then he
chewed me out big time. He was upset because I had parked facing backwards.
I did it because my satellite dish is near the rear of the trailer and it
would have been blocked by the trees had I parked the right way.  I simply
put the hose and electric under the trailer and plugged in.  This was very
upsetting, I never figured out why.  He said I wouldn't be able to get out if
he got full.... I assured him if that happened I would simply back up.
Undaunted he said I couldn't dump my sewer.  I assured him I wouldn't anyway
as I had dumped both tanks that morning.  The bottom line was he just didn't
like it done "the wrong way."  He finally went away. His wife didn't care, I
used her phone line to do email and we chatted amiably.  In the morning I
just pulled out.... no big deal.

We left and made our way to Oklahoma City.  Staying now at the KOA which is
about 12 miles east of the city.  Nice campground, nice young couple owns it.
 We dropped the trailers and went to the Cowboy Hall of Fame.  Had a nice
buffet brunch and wandered all the exhibits.  Saw The Canyon Princess
again... the 18 foot tall marble mountain lion which I refer to as "The
mother of my children."  I bought a sculpture in Jackson Hole called "Canyon
Cubs"  which was sculpted by the same artist.  I need to write them about the
Roy Rogers bio next to the oil painting of Roy and Dale.  It says he was born
in Duck Run, Ohio... he was actually born in Cincinnati (the house was where
2nd base now sits in Riverfront Stadium)  Roy's family moved to Duck Run when
he was a young boy.

The weather was rather crummy, drizzly and yucky so we came back to the
trailers and mellowed out.  Don came over for dinner and complained of a pain
and went home.  At about 9:30, I was snuggled in watching the Yankees when he
knocked on the door... "I need you to take me to the hospital"  I jumped up,
got the dogs and leashes into the truck and we took a wild ride in the rain
to the nearest one.  The bad news is Don had a kidney stone... the good news
is the waiting room had a TV.  He was being tended to while I was watching
the Yankees come back and win in the 12th inning.... He was released and we
got back after 1:00 am.

This morning I got up and drove 25 miles to Norman for brunch with my best
friend from high school.... I saw her in the spring and wanted to grab a
second opportunity to see her.

Then back here to hang out in the rain.  Don was watching football, still not
feeling great.... but they gave him lots of pain pills.  In the small world
department, there is a big sheepdog trial near here this week.... staying
here in the KOA is one trialer with five of his trial dogs...all Border
Collies of course.  We connected up and had lots of mutual friends.

Tonight I watched the Yankee game on a local station to keep an eye on the
weather.  We have had tornado warnings for hours, one even touched down about
10 miles from here. )c:   Thunder, lightning, hail, tornado warnings........
earlier I was saying how nice Oklahoma City is, rolling hills and big
trees.... forgetaboutit...........  last time I was in Oklahoma, in the
spring, the trailer rocked all night from tornados near by.  I will be
sending this on my cell phone as I don't want to hook on to a land line in
this weather....hell, I don't even want to walk outside in this weather!

Tomorrow is a sad day, Don will head down south to his home in Austin and I
will head east on the thumpy route 40 toward my destination near Knoxville.
Not much left to see, Ft, Smith, Memphis (Graceland!!!) and Nashville.....
then Knoxville.

Hunter, excited about the Yankees so far