Re: [A/S] discoloration

Mary,
    It is hard to tell (for me, anyway) whether old paint is oil based
or not.  I used some turpentine to soften some old paint before I
repainted in a kitchen once and it stuck really well.  You have to rough
up that surface somehow or soften it.  If turpentine (just put a good
amount of it on a rag and wipe) doesn't soften it up, then take some
fine sandpaper after it.  You don't have to remove it entirely, just get
the surface to accept new paint.
    If you end up having to use a litttle sand paper, you mgiht have to
use a couple  coats of paint to get the "lines" out.
    If you soften it with turpentine, you have to work right behind it
with the new paint.....don't wait too long.
    If it was me doing it, I would use oil based paint for the new
coat.  Some people like to use the acrylic because it is so easy to
clean up after and doesn't have the fumes.  Just keep the windows and
door open and wear a mask -- you will be in tight quarters there -- not
much ventilation.  But the oil based paint is more durable in the long
run you will be happier.
Kerry