Re: [A/S] inverters

Roy,
 The problem is that most small inverters have a square-wave output, not
sine wave like the Factory Power. This square-wave power will cause
noise in a boom box, interference in a TV, and severe heating in linear
power supplies such as a typical Wall Wart.

Better inverters have what is called "modified sine wave" output, and
nearly everything will get along just fine with it. The very best output
is Pure Sine Wave, just like the factory stuff, but such inverters are
expensive and tend to be somewhat less efficient than the other kinds.
Pure Sine Wave inverters are also somewhat rare in the smaller, cheaper
inverters.

I have an old computer UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) that I'm going
to experiment with. It uses a single 12 volt battery, which is shot. If
it can be connected to a 12 volt battery and start when the switch is
closed, I might just use it. I'm almost positive that it's pure sine
wave output and will check before committing myself to installing it.
The only bad thing is that it's sizable and heavier than one of those
little portables. (TANSTAAFL)

                                          <<Jim>>