[A/S] Re: Exterior Glass

I'm in the glass biz. I can tell you my shpiel that I always say to
people. It seems to be the thing they want to hear, "Tempered glass
is 3 to 5 times stronger than regular glass. It is like the door
glass of a car and shatters into millions of little pieces when it
breaks and falls out and so it is less burglar resistant. It is 10
times more resistant to heat changes.
   Laminated glass is two layers of thin glass with vinyl in between.
It is actually more fragile than regular glass but when it breaks it
just cracks and the pieces hang together. You need to hack at it with
an ax to get through (almost.) Therefore it is more burglar resistant
although it costs about twice as much as tempered glass. Windshields
must be made of laminated glass.
   The front large window of my airstream was broken when we got it
and I installed laminated glass. The original was 1/8" thick tempered
but it is flat so laminated, which is 1/4" thick, will fit. Laminated
is also much more sound proof than regular glass although in the
airstream I doubt you could tell. I did not use the vinyl u-channel
with the new laminated. I put it into the frame dry and ran a bead of
silicon around the edges on the inside and the outside. That way it
can be replaced in the future without destroying the frame.
Thanks
Dave.