RE: [A/S] IH Travelall tow vehicle

Oliver, It is normal to have the trailer weigh more and be longer than the
tow vehicle, notice I did not say that this was good, just normal. A LITTLE
sway is a bother, but a tolerable situation to most people. The poor guy who
had his rig flip, I would bet had at least one of the following situations,
all of which may have contributed to the accident.
1-improperly loaded trailer. Front to rear, 10 to 15% of the loaded trailer
weight needs to be on the tongue. Side to side weights need to be close to
equal.
2-improperly set up hitch. These things do need to be properly adjusted and
the weight distribution bars need to have the proper tension on them. Anti
sway equipment (or even whole anti sway hitches) are available.
3-improperly adjusted brake controls. If the tow vehicles brakes activate
significantly quicker and harder than the trailer's brakes, then the
trailer, already in a sway condition, WILL SWAY WORSE.

Yes, a tow vehicle heavier than the trailer is the ideal. Yes, a longer
wheel base is better. But it is possible to tow safely with a smaller
vehicle, you just need to pay attention to having things set up correctly
(which you should be doing anyways!).

Towed a 26' single axle Airstream for over 20 years, may not be a
professional, but I know what I'm talking about.

Scott